Sunday, February 26, 2012

Mini Art School Numero Cuatro

Storyboard
I'm not really sure how creating a storyboard of our MMP relates to the way that storyboards were presented in our readings for this week.  I spent a lot of time looking for images to place into my storyboard.  It was fairly simple to come up with an implementation timeline, but again, the majority of my time was spent trying to find pictures to illustrate each part of my timeline.  I created my storyboard using PowerPoint, then I imported it into Keynote and exported it to iMovie and then finally to YouTube. I know a lot of those steps could have been avoided, but I literally spent hours trying to upload my original PowerPoint that I saved as a QuickTime movie to YouTube only to find out that most .MOV files cannot be uploaded successfully. So going all around the mulberry bush was the way that I solved that problem. 
Getting back to the focus of this section of Mini Art School, storyboarding, I could see using storyboarding as a way to organize your ideas in relation to a movie or photo shoot.  In my opinion it could be equated to the prewriting step of the writing process.  It is a great organizational tool that lets you simply see, through visual cues, what the action plan for a specific "shoot" is.  I guess when I put it in that context you could actually apply it to our MMP.  It did help to establish an implementation action plan.
60 Second Video
This is an edited version of a video that I made, using Animoto, in regards to my qualifications as an educational leader.  I normally send the longer version (2 min 7 sec) to districts that I have interviewed with.  I embed the video into my thank you email.  On the extended version, I add the district's logo right after my picture.  I attempted to edit the video using iMovie, but found that it was much easier to edit it using Animoto.  I know that we were supposed to add credits at the end, but that would have put me way over the 60 allotment.  I am still over the time limit by 3 seconds with this version.  Animoto does have a credits option, but that comes with a paid subscription.  I could have easily added another text slide with my name to this to create a credits slide, but again, that would have put me well over the time limit.  I was able to significantly shorten the length of my film by editing the amount of time that the audio recording played.  All of the photos in this video are my own, screenshots of websites that I have created, or they came from stock photography websites (mostly Getty Images). 
 





3 comments:

  1. Jen,
    I love your 60-second video. It's not at all overwhelming and you chose a very appropriate soundtrack for the content. I am graduating in May and am already on the job search. I have to say, I may take the idea of embedding a video at the end. I never thought of that! What a great way to incorporate your strengths and obvious talent with technology. Fantastic job!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,

    Let's pretend that the "animoto" logo at the end doesn't count and say that you were in the 1min mark. ;oP

    I really liked the idea of marketing yourself in such a way. I would have NEVER thought of something that creative. I love when the options are wide open, you get so many different interpretations of the assignment. This was truly inspirational and it's making me think whether I should create a video like this as well.

    Your transitions were smooth, and I don't think they were 'cheesy' at all, rather let the images blend and flow in and out of each other very smoothly. Your text was easy to read, and I like that you had a headline and then a smaller text below it, kind of like a tag line. The music certainly gave me the feel that you are an energetic person and ready to work. The message of selling yourself to district was certainly conveyed. I really liked it. Great job!

    Johanna

    ps. your first video won't play, it says it's private. But on a side note about all the loops you went through to get your video uploaded, just create a screencast of your power point next time and don't worry about making it an actual .mov file. It could help eliminate a lot of steps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How creative! This reminds me of Barney's video resumé in the show "How I Met Your Mother" - not the actual videos he submits (which you would know if you watched it but if yo don't I won't spoil it for you) , but just the original idea of sending along a video as a thank you is BRILLIANT! As for the video itself, very nicely done, agree with all previous comments! Well done!

    ReplyDelete